- This line was added.
- This line was removed.
- Formatting was changed.
Name: Daisy Ferris
PhD: English Literature
Thesis Title: The Uses of Humour and Parody in "Feminist Avant-Garde" Periodical Culture
This project addresses the use of humour and parody in the modernist little magazine, specifically within periodicals which can be considered part of the ‘feminist avant-garde’: a branch of transatlantic feminism operating in the early twentieth century, separate from and often oppositional to the suffrage movement. A pervasive theme of humour and parody recurs throughout modernist literature by women, and this thesis seeks to explore how it functioned in its original site of publication, the modernist magazine. This project builds on my Mres dissertation, which examined the parodic editorial performance enacted by the editors of the avant-garde magazine The Little Review. This project will expand upon these initial findings, to address how parody functions more broadly throughout the magazine, and in feminist avant-garde periodical culture as a whole.
Supervisors and Institution(s):
Prof. Andrew Thacker (Nottingham Trent University)
Dr. Catherine Clay (Nottingham Trent University)
Dr. Sarah Davison (University of Nottingham)
Scholarly / Public Engagement Activities:
- 'Beatrice Hastings and 'La Belle Dame Sans Merci', Blog post, British Association of Romanticism: Romantic Re-imaginings Series http://www.bars.ac.uk/blog/
- Australasian Modernist Studies Network IV Conference: Modernism and Humour, Melbourne 26-28th October 2018, 'Laughter and Trauma in Katherine Mansfield's New Age Contributions (1910-1917)'
- Appearance on the Modernist Podcast May 2018 (Episode 14: Modernism and Form https://modernistpodcast.org/)
- Queer Modernism(s) II: Intersectional Identities Conference, Oxford April 12th-13th 2018, 'Lesbian Camp and the Decadent Tradition in Modernist Periodical Culture.'
- Queer Modernism(s) II: Intersectional Identities Conference, Oxford April 12th-13th 2018, Chaired Panel 7A (Modernism and Civil Rights)
- Queer Modernism(s) Conference, Nottingham Trent University 03/04/17, 'Performing Queerness: Modernism and Queer Identity in The Little Review'
- NTU Postgraduate Research Seminar 03/05/17, ‘“Life ‘“Life for Art’s Sake”: Performance and Editorial Performativity in The Little Review 1914-1929’
- Editing the 20th Century Conference, British Library 05/09/17, '“Life for Art’s Sake”: Editorial Performativity in The Little Review 1914-1929'
- 2019-20 Seminar Tutor ENGL11411 Foundations of Literary Study, Nottingham Trent University
- 2018-19 Seminar Tutor: ENGL11712 American Literature: Writing Self and Nation
, Nottingham Trent University, 2018-19
- Member of The Scholar's Programme. Author of 'Challenging the Canon: Literary Tradition and History 1500-Present'.
Other Research Interests:
- American Literature
- 20th Century Periodical Culture
- Queer Literature
University email address: email@example.com
LinkedIn: <add URL>
Twitter: <add URL>
Other Social Media: <add URL>