Name: Katrina Peake
PhD: Law, Trade, Sustainable Development, Labour Rights, Human Rights
Thesis Title: To what extent do EU trade and sustainable development instruments effectively promote labour rights in the Ready-Made Garment industry of South and Southeast Asia?
My PhD explores the EU's approaches to sustainable development through trade and the impact of these approaches on labour rights in the Ready-Made Garment industry of EU trade partner countries, particularly in Asia. The different methods of EU trade that will be analysed within the thesis are: Free Trade Agreements (FTAs), the Generalised System of Preferences (GSP) and the EU-Bangladesh Sustainability Compact.
Supervisors and Institution(s):
Professor Jeffrey Kenner (University of Nottingham)
Dr Narine Ghazaryan (University of Nottingham)
- Katrina Peake, Book Review: 'Eva Brems and Ellen Desmet (eds), Integrated Human Rights in Practice (EE 2017)' (IN PRESS)
- Katrina Peake, Book Review: 'Joe Wills, Contesting World Order? Socioeconomic Rights and Global Justice Movements (CUP 2017)' (2018) 18(3) Human Rights Law Review 616.
- Katrina Peake, Jeff Kenner and Stuart Wallace, 'The EU's engagement with civil society' in Jan Wouters and others (eds), The European Union and Human Rights: Law and Policy (OUP 2018) (IN PRESS)
- Katrina Peake and Jeff Kenner, 'The Bangladesh Sustainability Compact: An Effective Exercise of Global Experimentalist EU Governance?' (2017) Cambridge Yearbook of European Legal Studies, 1-30. doi:10.1017/cel.2017.3
- Katrina Peake, Jeffrey Kenner and others, ‘The integration of EU development, trade and human rights policies’ (FRAME Deliverable 9.4 2016), available at: http://www.fp7-frame.eu/frame-reps-9-4/
- Katrina Sissins, Jeffrey Kenner and others 'Structures and Mechanisms to Strengthen Engagement with Non-State Actors in the Protection and Promotion of Human Rights' (FRAME Deliverable 7.3, 2016), particularly the section on strengthening the EU's engagement with civil society, available at: http://www.fp7-frame.eu/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/26-Deliverable-7.3.pdf
Scholarly / Public Engagement Activities:
- Participant on the Academy of European Law's General and Specialized Courses on the Law of the European Union, European University Institute, Florence, Italy, 04-15/07/16.
- Participant on the Seminar of Comparative Labour Law 'Pontingagno XXXIII' entitled 'Work and Disability', Modena, Italy, 28/06-01/07/16.
- Speaker with Professor Kenner at the European Union in International Affairs V Conference, Academy Palace, Brussels 11-13/05/16.
- Pathways to Law Mentor mentoring young people with ambitions to study law at university 07/15-05/16.
- Attended the Fifth International Conference on Precarious Work and Vulnerable Workers, Middlesex University London 13-14/06/16.
- Attended the FRAME Towards More Effective Engagement between the EU and Non-State Actors on Human Rights Workshop, Chandos House, London 03/07/15.
- Research Intern on the FRAME project 07/15-08/16.
- Summer School Ambassador working with young people from disadvantaged backgrounds with aspirations to study law at university 06-07/15.
- Research Assistant on the European Union's FP7-funded FRAME project 09/15-04/17
- PhD Law Student Representative 09/16-09/17
- Project Facilitator on the Journey to Justice Project 10/16-05/17
- Speaker on the University of Nottingham PhD Seminar Series 23/11/16
- Speaker at the Fostering Human Rights Among European Policies (FRAME) India Colloquium 31.01.16
- Speaker at the South Asia and International Law Young Scholars Workshop 2017 01.02.17-02.02.17
- Speaker with Professor Kenner at the CELS Lunchtime Seminar Series 2017 15.02.17 http://sms.cam.ac.uk/media/2420205
- Speaker at the University of Nottingham's Sustainable Development RPA Event 22.02.2017
- Participant at the FRAME Final Conference, Brussels 26.04.17
- Speaker at the AHRI Conference, Leuven 27.04.17-28.04.17
- Speaker at the Human Rights Challenges in the 21st Century Conference 10.05.17
- Research Relay at the M3C Research Festival 25.05.17
- Participant at the Global Trade and Labour Rights Seminar 2017 19.06.17-23.06.17
- Speaker at the Young Scholars Section of the Global Trade and Labour Rights Seminar 2017 23.06.17
- Speaker and participant at the EADI NORDIC 2017 conference 20/08/17-23/08/17.
- Visiting Scholar, International Labour Organisation, Dhaka, Bangladesh October-September 2017
- Tutor, Employment Law, The University of Nottingham, November 2017
- Clinical Fellow, HEC-NYU EU Clinic, January 2018-April 2018.
- Tutor, European Union Law, The University of Nottingham 2017/2018
- Tutor, EU Employment Law, The University of Nottingham February 2018
- Roundtable Speaker, IAPS, HRLC Roundtable on Bangladesh Social and Economic Rights 22.03.2018
- Speaker GCfE Conference 10-11.05.2018
- Research Associate, Rights Lab, May 2018 - October 2018
- Research Relay at the M3C Festival 24.05.2018
- Visiting Scholar, International Labour Organization, Colombo, Sri Lanka June 2018
- Speaker and participant, XXII ISLSSL World Congress Torino 2018, September
- Research Associate, Rights Lab May - October 2018
- Participant at the Houses of Parliament - Roundtable 3. A Good Look: Fashion, Modern Slavery & Transparency, 20 November 2018
- Tutor, Employment Law 2018/19 Autumn Semester
- Tutor, EU Law 2018/19 Spring Semester
University email address: Katrina.Peake@nottingham.ac.uk
Linkedin: Katrina Peake
- No labels