Name: Judith T. Vöcker
Institution: Stanley Burton Centre for Holocaust and Genocide Studies, University of Leicester / Continuing education student in Yiddish and Yiddish literature at University College London
Thesis Title: "In the name of the German nation": The German jurisdiction in Nazi occupied Warsaw and Cracow (1939-1945)
The topic of my PhD project evolves around the German jurisdiction apparatus and how they treated and punished crimes committed in- and outside of ghettos by Jews, Poles and Ethnic Germans. In doing so, I address what the occupiers defined as a ‘crime’ and according to which legal basis these were made applicable law. For my project, I focus on the German Court and the Special Court and their court verdicts, since these entities sentenced not only Jewish but also Polish and Ethnic German defendants.
Furthermore, I examine the development of court verdicts over the years of Nazi occupation in Warsaw and Cracow. In this way, I am able to show if and why any changes within the juridical entities occurred – or if they are connected to the occupation politics for the respective territories or the successful/unsuccessful of the course of the war from the German perspective. For this purpose, I discuss the occupation politics for the Generalgouvernment to reveal for which political and strategic purpose the Warsaw and Cracow Ghetto were constructed. This will be supported by comparing similar criminal offences, committed by Jews, Poles and Ethnic Germans throughout the time of Nazi occupation. The focus lies on reconstructing the way juridical and police entities treated criminal offenses and defendants from all spheres of society and to explore to what extent the criminal persecution in- and outside the ghettos was influenced by the occupational aims, racial ideologies and the course of the war.
Dr Svenja Bethke (University of Leicester)
Prof. William Niven (Nottingham Trent University)
Dr Klaus Richter (University of Birmingham)
- Potsdam School of Jewish Theology and Jagiellonian University Cracow: 3rd Polish-German Workshop: 'Jewish Studies and Jewish Theology', Potsdam (Germany), October 24-28th 2018. Conference paper: Crime and criminal prosecution in the Warsaw Ghetto.
- Midlands3Cities and WRoCAH: New Voices in Postcolonial Studies Network, November 21st2018, Leicester (UK), Talk: Criminal prosecution through German juridical entities in the ghettos and districts of Warsaw, Cracow and Riga during WW II.
- Jewish Historical Institute and EHRI: Research and Preservation of the Secret Archive of the Warsaw Ghetto, Warsaw (Poland), December 6th 2018. Conference paper: Crime and criminality as part of everyday life in the Warsaw Ghetto.
Wiener Library for the Study of the Holocaust and Genocide, London (UK), PhD and a cup of tea, January 22nd 2019. Talk: Criminal prosecution through German juridical entities in the cities of Warsaw, Cracow and Riga.
The Ackerman Centre for Holocaust Studies at the University of Texas at Dallas: 49th Annual Scholars' Conference on the Holocaust and the Churches, Dallas, TX (USA), March 2-4th 2019. Paper: Criminal prosecution through the German juridical entities in the cities and ghettos of Warsaw and Cracow.
Brigham Young University, Provo, UT (USA), March 12th 2019. Research Seminar: The Generalgouvernement under foreign law: Criminal prosecution through the German jurisdiction during the Nazi occupation of Warsaw and Cracow.
British Association for Slavonic and Eastern European Studies: BASEES Annual Conference, Cambridge (UK), April 12-14th 2019. Paper: Crime and Criminal prosecution in the Warsaw Ghetto.
The Riga Ghetto and Latvian Holocaust Museum: 6th International Conference of the Riga Forum, Riga (Latvia), May 21-22nd 2019. Paper: The Muranów district as a memorial of the former Warsaw Ghetto.
- Midlands4Cities Research Festival, Birmingham (UK), May 23rd 2019. Talk: The Generalgouvernement under Nazi law: The prosecution of ‘Crimes’ in the Warsaw Ghetto during Nazi occupation.
European-University Viadrina: Eastern European Studies Colloquium. Frankfurt Oder (Germany), June 3rd 2019. Talk: The 'Generalgouvernement' under foreign law: Criminal prosecution through the German jurisdiction during Nazi occupation of Warsaw and Cracow.
- University of Leeds: New Voices in Post-Colonial Studies Symposium, June 13th 2019. Paper: Giorgio Agamben's theory of the 'State of exception' and the Holocaust'.
The National September 11 Memorial and Museum: 2nd Andrew W. Mellon Conference, New York City (USA), June 19-21st 2019. Paper: The Muranów district as a memorial of the former Warsaw Ghetto.
University of Sussex, Centre for German-Jewish Studies: Max and Hilde Kochmann Summer School for PhD Students in European-Jewish History and Culture, Brighton (UK), July 7-10th 2019. Paper: The 'Generalgouvernement' under foreign law: Criminal prosecution through the German jurisdiction during Nazi occupation of Warsaw and Cracow.
German Society for Eastern European Studies, Research Centre for East European Studies, Eastern Europe College NRW: 27th Conference of Junior Scholars in the field of Eastern European Studies, Bochum (Germany), July 12-14th 2019. Paper: The criminal prosecution of Jews through the German jurisdiction in the Warsaw Ghetto.
Moscow Center for University Teaching of Jewish Civilization SEFER: 26th Annual International Sefer Conference on Jewish Studies, Moscow (Russian Federation), July 14-16th 2019. Paper: The Generalgouvernement under Nazi law: The prosecution of ‘Crimes’ in the Warsaw Ghetto during Nazi occupation.
British Association for Holocaust Studies: 6th Annual Conference: Narratives of the Holocaust, University of Roehampton (London, UK), July 17-19th 2019. Paper: Testimonies from the Warsaw Ghetto.
Institute for the History of the German Jews: German-Israeli Archival Exchange Colloquium 2019/2020, Hamburg, Berlin, Heidelberg (Germany), July 21-27th 2019. Paper: The Generalgouvernement under foreign law: Criminal prosecution through the German jurisdiction during Nazi occupation of Warsaw and Cracow.
- Jack, Joseph and Morton Mandel Center for Advanced Holocaust Studies of the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, Moshe Mirilashvili Center for Research on the Holocaust in the Soviet Union of the International Institute for Holocaust Research at Yad Vashem, Washington D.C. (USA), August 5-16th 2019. Workshop: Jewish Experiences and the Holocaust in the Soviet Union.
- German History Society Annual Conference, King’s College London (UK), September 3-5th 2019. Paper: The Generalgouvernement under foreign law: the German jurisdiction in ‘Jewish Ghettos.
- German Historical Institute Warsaw, Herder Institute for Historical Research on Eastern Central Europe and the Polish Academy of Sciences’ Centrum: New Approaches to Research on Everyday Life during WWII, Berlin (Germany), September 27-28th 2019. Paper: Crime and criminal prosecution as a part of everyday life in ‘Jewish ghettos’.
- University of Exeter: ExHistoria Symposium, October 17th 2019. Talk: The Generalgouvernement under foreign law: The Nazi jurisdiction in occupied Warsaw from 1939 until 1945.
Holocaust Educational Foundation, Centre for Holocaust Studies at the Institute for Contemporary History in Munich, Federal Agency for Civic Education of Germany, Ludwig-Maximilians-University Munich: Special Lessons and Legacies Conference on the Holocaust, November 4-7th 2019. Paper: Criminal prosecution of Jews in ghettos during the Nazi occupation of Poland.
- German Historical Institute London and the Institute of Historical Research: German History Seminar at UCL, November 13th 2019. Talk: The Generalgouvernement under foreign law: The criminal prosecution of ‘crimes’ in Warsaw and Cracow during Nazi occupation.
- American Association for Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies: 51th Annual ASEEES Convention, San Francisco (USA), November 23-26th 2019. Paper: Warsaw's Jewry under foreign law during the Nazi occupation of Poland.
- Association for Jewish Studies: 51st Annual Conference, San Diego (USA), December 15-17th 2019. Paper: The Generalgouvernment under foreign law: The criminal prosecution of Jews during the Nazi occupation of Poland.
- Technical University Dresden: Forschungs- und Examenskolloquium zur Neueren und Neuesten Geschichte, December 16th 2019. Talk: Im Namen des Deutschen Volkes: Die Deutsche Gerichtsbarkeit in Warschau und Krakau während der NS-Besatzung des Generalgouvernements.
- with Dr Clara Frysztacka: The ambivalences in Europe: The Balkan in the history of the Europeanisation, in: Südosteuropa Mitteilungen [Notes on Southeast Europe], Vol. 1, 2018: pp. 200-215.
- Book Review: Enstad, Johannes Due: Soviet Russians under Nazi Occupation. Fragile Loyalties in World War II. Cambridge 2018 , in: H-Soz-Kult, 19.03.2019: www.hsozkult.de/publicationreview/id/rezbuecher-29973
- YIVO Institute for Jewish Research: Uriel Weinreich Summer Program Grant
- EHRI Fellowship at the Jewish Historical Institute and the Wiener Library for the Study of the Holocaust and Genocide
- Ackerman Center for Holocaust Studies, University of Dallas at Texas, Zsuzsanna Ozsváth Junior Scholars Grant
- German History Society Travel Grants (January and April 2019) and Annual Conference bursary
- BASEES Conference Grant
- BAHS Postgraduate Bursary
- Centre for Holocaust Studies at the Institute for Contemporary History (Munich) Travel and Conference Grant
- The Holocaust in Poland
- Ideologies of the Third Reich
- Stalinism and Soviet Russia
- Imperial Russia
- No labels