ScholAcAcacdName: Cat Quine
PhD: Hebrew Bible
Thesis Title: Ritual, Rhetoric and the Polemic Against the Host of Heaven. (submitted Sept. 2018)
Supervisors and Institution(s)
- Dr. Carly Crouch (University of Nottingham)
- Prof. Charlotte Hempel (University of Birmingham)
'Reading Micaiah's Heavenly Vision (1 Kgs 22:19-23) and 1 Kings 22 as Interpretive Keys.'Zeitschrift für die alttestamentliche Wissenschaft 130 no. 2 (2018): 204-216. [M3C acknowledged]
'Nineveh's Pretensions to Divine Power in Nahum 3:16.' Vetus Testamentum (forthcoming). [M3C acknowledged]
'Reading "House of Jacob" in Isaiah 48:1-11 in Light of Benjamin.' Journal of Biblical Literature 137 no. 2 (2018): 339-357. [M3C acknowledged]
'The Bird and the Mountains: A Note on Psalm 11.'Vetus Testamentum 67 Fasc 3 (2017): 470-79. [M3C acknowledged]
‘On Dying in a City Gate: Implications in the Deaths of Eli, Abner and Jezebel.’ Journal for the Study of the Old Testament 40 no. 4 (2016): 399-413.
'Amenemope, Instruction of.'; 'Siege Warfare.'; ‘Ostraca.’; ‘Amarna Letters.’ All in Robert Hayward, Kevin Quast, R. Timothy McLay and Bernard Taylor (eds.), Dictionary of the Septuagint and Early Greek Jewish Studies (forthcoming).
‘Deutero-Isaiah, J and P: Who is in the Image and Likeness of God? Implications for אדם and Theologies of Creation.’Scandinavian Journal of the Old Testament 29, no. 2 (2015): 296-306.
- ‘The Theological Significance of Water in the Book of Ezekiel: A Brief Assessment.’ The B.C. Journal of Multidisciplinary Studies, Vol. 4. ‘Water’ 4 (2014): 2-10.
Articles under review
- 'The Host of Heaven and the Divine Army: A Reassessment.' Journal for the Study of the Old Testament
- ''The Threat of a General: YHWH's Divine Army and Joshua 5:13-15 Reconsidered.' Journal of Biblical Literature
Articles in Edited Volumes
- Invited and contracted to write "Zephaniah," in The Oxford Handbook of the Minor Prophets (ed. Julia M. O'Brien; Oxford: Oxford University Press). Due March 2019.
- In the Name of God: the Bible in the Colonial Discourse of Empire. Edited by C.L. Crouch and Jonathan Stökl, with the assistance of Cat Quine. (Biblical Interpretation Series 126; Leiden: Brill, 2013).
- Review of Leonard-Fleckman, Mahri. The House of David between Political Formation and Literary Revision (Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2016), Journal for the Study of the Old Testament (forthcoming).
- Review of Sergi, Omer, Manfred Oeming and Izaak J. De Hulster (eds.). In Search for Aram and Israel: Politics, Culture and Identity (ORA 20; Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck, 2016), Journal for the Study of the Old Testament (forthcoming).
- Review of Giffone, Benjamin D. ‘Sit at My Right Hand’: The Chronicler’s Portrait of the Tribe of Benjamin in the Social Context of Yehud (LHBOTS 628; London: Bloomsbury T&T Clark, 2016), Journal for the Study of the Old Testament 41 no. 5 (2017): 30.
- Review of West, Jim and James G. Crossley (eds.), History, Politics and the Bible from the Iron Age to the Media Age: Essays in Honour of Keith W. Whitelam (LHBOTS 651; London: Bloomsbury T&T Clark, 2016), Journal for the Study of the Old Testament 41 no. 5 (2017): 40-41.
- Review of Leuchter, Mark and David T. Lamb, The Historical Writings: Introducing Israel's Historical Literature (Introducing Israel's Scriptures; Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2016), Journal for the Study of the Old Testament 41 no. 5 (2017): 6-7.
- Digitized Palmyrene Inscriptions at the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford: PAT 0256; PAT 0324; PAT 0367; PAT 0377. J.M. Hutton and C. Quine, WPAIP. Copyright held by the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford.
Scholarships, Grants and Awards
- Winner of the University of Nottingham Postgraduate Teaching Award 2018.
- Conference Funding for Borders and Boundaries in Ancient Israel (£7810; lead applicant), 2017.
- Conference Funding for Reading Bodies Writing Minds (£2895), 2017.
- M3C SDF awards (£741), 2016-17.
- Conference Funding for 19th IARSS (£3150), 2016.
- M3C SDF awards (c. £3500), 2015-16.
- M3C Doctoral Studentship (c. £63,000), 2015-18.
- College Prize, Worcester College, Oxford (£120), 2015.
- Conference Awards, Worcester College, Oxford (£225), 2015.
- Shirlee Meyers Excavation Fellowship ($1000), 2015.
- HEFCE Oxford Graduate Scholarship (c. £22,000), 2014-15.
- Foundation of St. Matthias Biblical Studies Grant (£1250), 2014.
- St. Luke's College Foundation Grant (£600), 2013-14.
- Anglo-Israel Archaeological Society Travel Grant (£500), 2013.
- Ed Ball Prize for Best Biblical Dissertation (£100), 2013.
- Appointed Teaching Associate (Level 4), Department of Theology and Religious Studies, University of Nottingham (temporary contract: 2018-2019).
- Chair for the Firth Graduate Seminar, University of Nottingham (2018).
- Lecturer for Intermediate Biblical Hebrew, Level 2/3 (all classes, Spring 2017-18), including designing the syllabus, delivering classes and setting and marking assessments.
- Texts taught: Omrides and Arameans: 1 Kings 22; 2 Kings 9, 11 – The Fallen Ones Isaiah 14; Ezekiel 28, 32)
Guest Lecturer for Prophets and Prophecy in the Hebrew Bible, Level 2/3 (2017-18).
Lectures: Isaiah 40-55.
Lecturer and Teaching Affiliate for History, Literature, and Theology of the Hebrew Bible, Level 1 (2017-18), including planning and delivering lectures, tutoring seminars and marking assessments.
- Lectures: Isaiah 1-39; Amos and Hosea; the Seventh Century Kings; Isaiah 40-66; Haggai and Zechariah; Ezra-Nehemiah and Ruth.
- Seminars: Creation; Pentateuch; History, Archaeology and the Bible; Prophecy.
- Photography Assistant to Dr. Jeremy Hutton, digitizing Palmyrene inscriptions as part of the Wisconsin Palmyrene Aramaic Inscription Project (2017).
- Research Assistant and creator of the Mowinckel Library, University of Nottingham (2016-17).
- Teaching Affiliate for History, Literature, and Theology of the Hebrew Bible, Level 1 (2016-17), including tutoring seminars and marking assessments.
- Seminar topics: Post-Exilic Identity; Exile and Destruction; History and the Kingdom of Judah; Prophecy under the Monarchy; Archaeology and the Bible; The United Monarchy; The Patriarchal Traditions; Creation.
- Research Assistant on online museum exhibition for the Society of Old Testament Study's centenary celebrations: Jerusalem: Fall of a City, Rise of A Vision (2016-17).
- Assistant Area Supervisor, at The Lautenschlager Azekah Expedition, Israel (2012-15).
- Research Assistant for Prof. R. Deines and Dr. C.L. Crouch, University of Nottingham (2012-13).
Conference Papers and Presentations
- Casting Down the Host of Heaven: Ritual Failure and Biblical Rhetoric. Cambridge Old Testament Seminar, January 2019.
- Politics, Polemic and Ritual Failure. Sheffield Institute of Interdisciplinary Biblical Studies, March 2019.
- Reading Micaiah's Heavenly Vision and 1 Kings 22 as Hermeneutical Lenses. Nottingham Biblical Seminar, October 2017.
- Reading the Host of Heaven Polemic as Compensation for Ritual Failure. Ritual in the Biblical World Session: International Society of Biblical Literature, Berlin, August 2017.
- Reading the "House of Jacob" in Isaiah 48:1-11 in Light of Benjamin. Nottingham Biblical Seminar, June 2017.
- Zephaniah's Astral Priests in Josiah's (Deuteronomistic) Reform. The Book of the Twelve Session: Society of Biblical Literature, San Antonio, November 2016.
- Mizpah and Bethel in Isaiah, Jeremiah and Ezekiel: Arguments from Silence. Prophets and Prophecy Session: European Association of Biblical Studies, Leuven, July 2016.
- Fortresses and Politics in 7th Century BCE Judah. International Ancient Warfare Conference, University of Gothenburg, June 2016.
- The Host of Heaven in the Seventh Century BCE: Idolatrous Practice or Yahwistic Response to Cultic Crisis? European Association of Biblical Studies Graduate Symposium, University of
Cluj-Napoca (Romania), March 2016.
- The Host of Heaven in the 7th Century BCE: The Politics of Polemic, the Politics of Piety. Informal Biblical Seminar, University of Nottingham, November 2015.
- Isaiah 41:18-20 as Anti-Assyrian Polemic? Oxbridge Biblical Studies Conference, University of Cambridge, May 2015.
- Rivers vs. Seas: the Role of Topography in Biblical and Mythological Presentations of Nature. Twentieth Postgraduate Religion and Theology Conference, University of Bristol – ‘Nature and Religion,’ March 2015.
- Learning from Lachish: Interdisciplinary Approaches at Azekah and the Increasing Importance of Archaeology for Biblical Studies. Oxford Graduate Seminar, February 2015.
- ‘O My People, Remember Now.’ Sacred Texts Within A Sacred text: Micah 3:12, 4:1-5, 6:5. Birmingham Postgraduate Biblical Studies Conference, July 2014.
- The Diversity of the Dragons of Ezekiel 29 and 32: A Re-Examination of the Unification Proposed by Academic Tradition. Birmingham Postgraduate Biblical Studies Conference, July 2013.
- Principal Organizer of Borders and Boundaries in Ancient Israel: Territory, Nationality and Identity (Bible/Archaeology). A two day inter-disciplinary conference to be held at the University of Nottingham, June 2018. (Funding raised: £7810)
- Co-organizer of Reading Bodies, Writing Minds (Medical Humanities). A one day inter-disciplinary conference held at the University of Nottingham, April 2017. (Funding raised: £2895)
- Co-organizer of the 19th Iron Age Research Student Symposium (Archaeology). A three day conference held at the University of Leicester and the University of Nottingham, May 2016. (Funding raised: £3150)
- Society of Old Testament Studies (SOTS)
- European Association of Biblical Studies (EABS)
- Society of Biblical Literature (SBL)
- American Schools of Oriental Research (ASOR)
- Palestine Exploration Fund (PEF)
- Anglo-Israel Archaeological Society (AIAS)
- Economic History Society (EHS)
University email address: email@example.com
- No labels